There's nothing quite like freshly baked bread! The basic Jamie Oliver bread recipe only calls for four ingredients, and we'll show you how to create it.
Celebrity chef Jamie Oliver has shared a basic recipe for handmade bread that even inexperienced bakers can prepare and that can be tweaked in a variety of ways in his cooking program "Keep Cooking and Carry On." And the greatest part is that all you need are four simple ingredients and a little patience!
Jamie Oliver bread: Ingredients for two loaves of bread
- 650 ml lukewarm water
- 1 p. dry yeast (7 g)
- 1 kg flour (type 550)
- ½ tsp. salt
Preparation: step by step
- To begin, pour the lukewarm water into a large mixing bowl and, using a fork, mix and dissolve the yeast in it. Toss the yeast water with the majority of the flour and the salt with a fork until it comes to a halt. Then, with your hands, knead the dough into a ball and add more flour until the bread dough no longer sticks to your hands.
- Next, knead the dough ball well for five minutes on a floured work area. The dough should be smooth and elastic in the end. Make a ball out of the bread dough, set it in a bowl, and coat it with flour. Then cover the bowl with a clean, wet kitchen towel and let the dough rise in a warm, draft-free area for at least an hour, if not longer.
- As soon as the dough has doubled in size, strike the dough ball with your fist and knead it again for 30 seconds so that the air bubbles escape.
- Now you can divide the bread dough into two equal portions and either place them in a baking pan or on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Cover the bread and let the dough rest again for 30 to 60 minutes until it has doubled in size
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius (gas mark 4) and bake the Jamie Oliver bread for 35 minutes, or until golden brown. The bread is done when you tap the underside and hear a hollow sound; otherwise, leave it in the oven for a few minutes longer. Finally, remove the bread from the pan and cool fully on a wire rack.
This is how easy it is to modify the Jamie Oliver bread
You can change the bread to suit your taste if the basic recipe is too monotonous for you. Jamie Oliver, for example, recommends a savory variation with pesto, olives, and cheese: After completing step 6, flatten out the dough into a rectangle, spread with pesto, then top with chopped olives and grated cheddar cheese. Cut the dough into roughly eight equal sections by rolling it up on the long side. All that's left to do now is to arrange the bread rolls in an ovenproof dish that has been coated with olive oil. Cover the bread with a clean cloth and allow it to rise again as directed in step 7. Then bake it at 180°C for 30 minutes.
Fillings such as mozzarella, feta, ham, dried tomatoes, spinach, or pine nuts can also be utilized. You can make a sweet version by adding jam, honey, or a ripe, mashed banana to the dough, but you can also add chocolate drops or raisins. As you can see, your creativity has no bounds, so go baking!